Welcome! or Register
ASSgaming.com > News > Battlefield 3

Battlefield 3 - Back to Karkand Expansion Pack
Old
Tuesday, December 13, 2011, 4:35 pm
CoMM
a.k.a. Scr3wby Doo
Default Battlefield 3 - Back to Karkand Expansion Pack

The first expansion pack for BF3 has been released - Back to Karkand - which is a throwback to the most popular maps of BF2, namely: Strike at Karkand, Gulf of Oman, Wake Island and Sharqi Peninsula.

The expansion costs $15 at the moment, and is free to those who pre-ordered BF3. See more on battlefield.com...

If you don't have BF3 yet you can still play these same maps on Battlefield : Play4Free, since that game runs on the BF2 engine and maps.

Old
Tuesday, December 13, 2011, 5:09 pm
CoMM
a.k.a. Scr3wby Doo
Just coincidentally i ended up being awake when this was released at 5am ET this morning and once i got into it i couldn't put it down so i've been playing a Wake/Omen server for hours today already, and FYI they're much needed maps. They add a very nice variety and those were a few of my favorites from BF2. The other 2 maps (Karkand and Sharqi) are very nice also but i hit the Wake/Omen servers before i did anything else since i wanted to see how the air vehicles looked. I already know that Karkand is the best infantry map of all time however, and Sharqi is great for snipers and infantry.

The new jets are nice - which are the same jump-jets they had in BF2 - but they'll need some balancing since i believe they have the same damage as the fast moving jets but they also can get themselves to a crawl when the throttle is backed-off since below 20% throttle or so is the 0-100% range for when the jets are pointed downward. It takes a lot of getting used to, and i still think they handle like unrealistic bricks, but hopefully they get better with time and i had some good battles today already with some pilots wearing dogtags touting very high jet stats. The balance is still really good however and due to natural landscape and with help from the ground the choppers stand a good chance of staying alive if they fly smartly.

The new air maps (Wake/Omen) in general are both excellent for infantry and air vehicles, and they're even good for those who want to play ground vehicles. The jets-vs-choppers-vs-infantry-vs-choppers-vs-AA balance is much better on these maps than any of the current offerings within the initial BF3 maps. I'm biased since i loved these maps in BF2, but i've gotten to like the current set of BF3 air maps as well, and these maps are still of an unsurpassed balance quality.

And lastly, currently the BF3 servers are inaccessible. They had an issue where some of their customers were getting a "content not found" error, so they rushed to track it down, they claim to have a fix already, and around 12pm ET today they had another issue with Origin logins - likely due to the initial bits of the update for BF3. You can still access the Battlelog, but you will not be able to play a game since it will ask you to log in to Origin, and that isn't allowed at the moment. It's a bit of an odd scenario, since i believe those who never left a server before the Origin login issues are still able to play, but those of us who did are twiddling our thumbs just as others who are starting to get home from school and work while we wait for them to find a fix. Follow #Battlefield on Twitter for up-to-the-minute news.

Old
Tuesday, December 13, 2011, 6:57 pm
CoMM
a.k.a. Scr3wby Doo
I just got on Origin after being unable to for 6 hours, so some or all of the issues may be fixed.