Welcome! or Register
ASSgaming.com > Forums > Community > Hardware
Share the news about PC power and other cool devices.

Killer NIC, Gaming Network Card Opinion
Old
Wednesday, September 24, 2008, 4:01 pm
BigRedDog
Default Killer NIC, Gaming Network Card Opinion

For what it is worth, I read today that Killer made a deal with a couple of the big manufacturers to include their NICs as build options, Dell being the biggest.

Since I've had mine since they first came out, I figured I'd throw in my experience with it.

Why I got it... I like the idea it has an onboard processor. I figure the more stuff that is done in hardware on the card, the better.

Would I buy it again?... yeah, I think I would... but that is me.

My experiences with it...

When I first bought it I had a machine with a good video card and an older processor (D840). I was hoping to alleviate some of the processor's chores and keep some unnecessary data off of the bus. Anyway, there was certainly a noticeable improvement in gaming. It was kind of odd, in that it started becoming apparent which servers were getting bogged down and when. That is, before, most of the time the game felt sluggish. With the NIC though, the game would only feel sluggish on specific servers, others would feel sharp and crisp. Also, I found that on ANY server when alot of stuff would happen, that is, alot of onscreen action including several players, vehicles - whatever... without the NIC the computer would also bog down for a second, and I would emerge in some surprising state (alive/dead/other side of map/whatever)... with the NIC - that completely stopped happening. Lastly, the card does/did show a better ping, but I'm not sure that ended up translating into a better connection or better responses... so the "ping benefit" I would question.

Anyway, when I updated my machine about a year ago, I slapped the card in and upgraded to Vista-32. My new machine has LOTS of horse power so I was really wondering if the benefits would still show (since it needed the only slot I had available for my TV-Card). Anyway, I played for a while without it and a while with. I still notice a difference when there are alot of characters onscreen especially at higher resolutions and higher game settings... less so otherwise.

There are a couple of downsides not mentioned yet, that could be deal breakers for some. (1) it does not support large-frames... they claim it is unnecessary overhead. (2) it took them a while to get good drivers for Vista... I had alot of crash problems... and I'm pretty certain it was largely due to the Killer drivers.

Oh, and they may well have the best technical support I've ever dealt with.

Anyway, anyone considering purchasing one of these, bundled or otherwise, might find this useful.
Wednesday, September 24, 2008, 7:46 pm
F.U.Buddy
BAD THINGS FOR YOU
ive read allot of revewies on this
everyone with my mptherboard said it was worthless.....
any idea why that is ?
Wednesday, September 24, 2008, 10:42 pm
BigRedDog
Nope. Perhaps your motherboard has on board ethernet, and they don't see the benefit of having a separate processor for the NIC. My M/B has onboard ethernet, and I'm certain there is a difference - but only under certain circumstances.

Oh yeah, that reminds me, the Killer NIC also doesn't have gigabit ethernet... maxes at 100Mbps.
Thursday, September 25, 2008, 1:31 am
F.U.Buddy
BAD THINGS FOR YOU
yea my board comes stock with this...
2 Gigabit Ethernet ports, Dual GigE with teaming, TCP/IP acceleration, and NVIDIA FirstPacket technology

lol wonder if this would help gaming...http://www.nvidia.com/object/tesla_c1060.html
Thursday, September 25, 2008, 2:37 am
Ghost_Codeman
Poker is a DM Whore
Send a message via MSN to Ghost_Codeman Send a message via Yahoo to Ghost_Codeman Ghost_Codeman is offline
I used my friends Killer Nic last year for a week and it was worthless. It didn't improve crap.

Then again my computer sucked!

~uXc~BaYkT (on our TS) said:
Quote:
"****n Cody.... FOCKin, cOdY... FUNKIN Code.....****iN CoDy... goat luvin ****er... ****IN CoDY... **** U CODE... ****in Cody!!!!" [and repeat]