Welcome! or Register
ASSgaming.com > Forums > Community > Hardware
Share the news about PC power and other cool devices.

amBX -- ambient PC lighting
Old
Wednesday, November 2, 2011, 9:07 pm
CoMM
a.k.a. Scr3wby Doo
Default amBX -- ambient PC lighting

amBX is worth a look at least. It provides ambient lighting for your PC games, movies, and more. They have implementations for just about every type of hardware; TV, console, custom; but i'm firstly curious on the PC, then possibly for TV.

I stumbled across this tech tonight while doing some other shopping. I usually run my room in the dark at night, besides my computer monitors and TV, so this looked pretty interesting and i snagged it. I wonder if it will help immersion or eye strain, and i'm curious how many games will support it.

Here's the sales site i found it on...

Old
Saturday, November 5, 2011, 12:53 pm
BigRedDog
Let me k ow how this works out. I use a strategically aimed desk lamp... But appreciate the usefullness of the upgrade.
Saturday, November 5, 2011, 6:04 pm
CoMM
a.k.a. Scr3wby Doo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedDog View Post
I use a strategically aimed desk lamp... But appreciate the usefullness of the upgrade.
LMFAO. Yeah i probably could have saved $100 and done that.

Old
Thursday, November 10, 2011, 5:06 pm
CoMM
a.k.a. Scr3wby Doo
This tech is pretty cool. It does what it says, which is to display any color in the spectrum. In games that natively support it I have a hard time noticing when it's working because it seamlessly matches whatever primary color is up on the screen, even on the the initial entrance screens while the game loads. It also has software functionality for a bunch of random things like Windows events, music and video playback, etc, or you could just set it to a single "mood color" for your room, or a set of colors it rotates between.

In Hawx for example, when looking for it, the colors also change when things like bullet flak is flying out your front cannon, where it'll rotate between the same shades of brown seen in the bullets coming out the front of the plane. I assume that it shows those colors in that scenario simply because i have both of my lights set with a position behind my monitor. If you order extra sets of lights you can position them all around you and then you'd tell the amBX software where each one is placed.

There is no native Mac software from the manufacturer, but there's an open source project for it here to do some simple control outside of supported visuals within games. I like to see the code at least from this side project, but i'd also prefer a native app from the company. The OSX app currently crashes for me as well, so i'm not sure how well it works at the moment, but it appears that others have success with it. I'll poke around in the code eventually and see where their bugs are at.