Welcome! or Register
ASSgaming.com > Forums > Community > General Discussion
Discussion related to FPS gaming and the clans and communities around it.

anyone for bombing run?
Old
Friday, November 1, 2013, 8:22 pm
Dad
(A.S.S) Member
Default anyone for bombing run?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/244590/

who was that masked man?
Saturday, November 2, 2013, 3:18 am
CoMM
a.k.a. Scr3wby Doo
Wow! I'm surprised that Epic didn't just sue them rather than giving them an award and allowing it to be released as a standalone. That's a straight-up BR ripoff.

Old
Monday, November 4, 2013, 7:31 am
Maison
morituri te salutant
Is anyone getting this? I just may for the heck of it if anyone else is down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear View Post
well... the good news is that lucas can't screw up the star wars universe any longer.

the bad news is that now disney can ....
Old
Monday, November 4, 2013, 1:08 pm
Poker
HI DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoMM View Post
Wow! I'm surprised that Epic didn't just sue them rather than giving them an award and allowing it to be released as a standalone. That's a straight-up BR ripoff.
WTF so many ways

Epic suing — suing! — the indie kid who wrote this game, on their engine no less … makes even less sense than the NFL and/or NBA and/or EA Sports and/or any of hundreds of others suing Epic for making Bombing Run.

I refuse to believe this thought left your head. That fearsome brilliant head.

Seahawks suck, shut up Show
Sunday, November 10, 2013, 2:41 pm
VEGETA
INACTIVE
"Winner of Make Something Unreal Live 2013 and Game of the Year of Swedish Game Awards 2013! Epigenesis is an online multiplayer arena sports game in which two sides are locked in a never-ending fight for world-domination by playing ball. " im thinking epic had a hand in making this game

its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog
Old
Wednesday, November 13, 2013, 3:10 pm
CoMM
a.k.a. Scr3wby Doo
Heh, okay maybe they shouldn't have been sued, but I'm still surprised that this was allowed to be a winner of the contest. It seems like an unoriginal ripoff of BR, with a few maps and a few light mods. We probably wrote more code which we threw away.

Old
Thursday, November 14, 2013, 2:37 pm
Poker
Quote:
Heh, okay maybe they shouldn't have been sued, but I'm still surprised that this was allowed to be a winner of the contest. It seems like an unoriginal ripoff of BR, with a few maps and a few light mods.
Well, here is what claims to be a longer gameplay session of the game at some alpha stage. Depends how you slice your adjectives, but I would qualify this as more than a few “light” mods away from stock UT2004 BR.

Quote:
We probably wrote more code which we threw away.
You really think so. Hmm. Well be that as it may …

One could take the disordered sum of everything you did, everything I did, and everything we both did for modding or recreating UT2004’s BR, along with everything we threw away, the considerable non-coding work, of which we did very little, and the considerable vapor-talk, of which we did a great deal …

… and all of that work, real and imaginary, bundled together would not even make it halfway to the proverbial “last 20%” milestone — after which, of course, 80% of the work still remains — of anything that resembles a finished game as much as this “Epigenesis” thing does.

Worth considering also: Epic did of course make the choice not to develop BR for their latest (read: final) UT, deeming it too unpopular to be profitable, which it certainly was, unfortunately, and by the calendar now it’s been nearly ten years since they’ve touched it. Even the most cynical interpretation might haphazardly — but correctly IMO — read Epic’s endorsement of a BR-ish UDK title as, if not just a proper tip of the hat, then an indicator of their long-term disinterest in themselves revisiting anything in the lineage of BR, and likely UT as well.

So given the state of things, I think it’s pretty clear that for Epic even to disqualify the maker of this derivative, weird, and maybe ridiculous but otherwise apparently well-made homage to quake/UT-BR from their UDK-promotional contest — let alone menace him/them with a lawsuit — just because it “infringes” on a bit of Epic’s old-ass castaway IP would be, besides legally tenuous, in terms of perception and PR just a gigantic, classless dick move … and in terms of overall business sense, a hot messy cannonball to the foot.

wankwankwankwankwank
Thursday, November 14, 2013, 8:25 pm
Poker
another thing I neglected to mention, which … ok, probably could have let me avoid acting like an argumentative ass—

Since UDK was released, it’s been prominently spelled out in the terms of the license agreement that commercial developers are allowed to use and extend any of Epic’s publicly released code, but none of its assets.

So, barring some en toto exception or whatever the imaginary lawyers would call it, one could in theory rewrite a whole Unreal Tournament game, with the exact same game mechanics, weapon mechanics, physics, input systems, etc. — and profit from it under the normal terms of the UDK license (i.e. allow Epic to profit from it also) — just all of the visuals and audio would have to be completely original. A painstakingly comprehensive reskinning of the game, if you like.

In fact, it’s hard to see how even a hypothetical egregious fabrication of UT such as this, if some garage band of devs were to pull it off (assuming it were done well), would be anything but music to Epic’s ears. To say nothing of this reimagined implementation of Bombing Run.
Thursday, November 21, 2013, 2:05 am
CoMM
a.k.a. Scr3wby Doo
All good points, and true.

Old
Wednesday, November 27, 2013, 3:09 pm
Dad
(A.S.S) Member
legal & coding issues aside, it's $4.99 on steam now thru Dec 3.
Thursday, November 28, 2013, 2:26 am
Rinku
Send a message via ICQ to Rinku Send a message via AIM to Rinku Send a message via MSN to Rinku Send a message via Yahoo to Rinku Rinku is offline
Dec 3rd is the best day of the year... just sayin. Oh yeah Bombing Run is my ****
Saturday, November 30, 2013, 5:00 pm
Poker
Quote:
All good points, and true.
maybe but I must owe a beer delivered into someone’s favorite orifice for all that expository asshattery.

anyway I wonder did anyone try this knockity offal game yet? … might’ve would’ve taken it for a five dolla spin myself, but for the Winderps

yay excuses
Saturday, February 1, 2014, 3:18 am
CoMM
a.k.a. Scr3wby Doo
This is on a weekend sale at 75% off, for $2.50...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/244590/