Welcome! or Register
ASSgaming.com > Forums > Community > Hardware
Share the news about PC power and other cool devices.

Best Headset?
Old
Friday, November 19, 2010, 10:22 pm
CoMM
a.k.a. Scr3wby Doo
Default Best Headset?

I need a new headset with a mic. I was looking at the Seinnheiser models; especially the PC 360. Does anybody have experience with a better quality pair than these? My current ones with a fried mic (or shorted cord) are the PC 151 series i believe, which i've been very happy with.

Also, i was curious about the ones that claim to have surround. Would those only be USB models, or are there some that actually plug into a 5.1 or 7.1 audio card by individual analog jacks? I'll do more research soon also and sorry for being so broad.

Old
Saturday, November 20, 2010, 1:30 am
Tents
I have some Altech Lancing's that do ok but they're a little tight. I think when I get some new ones, I'm gonna go down to Microcenter and try them all on. I want to find something that's comfortable...
Saturday, November 20, 2010, 2:28 pm
BigRedDog
I use the Sennheiser wireless (the wires drive me crazy). My specific model is the TR-140. It is a normal stereo headset... but it is super comfortable, and it has the "cup" styler ear covers which create a nice "image." I just want to say it again... I got a big head... these are SUPER COMFORTABLE... you forget they're on. Although not super important, the battery life is great. They don't run out even during extended gaming sessions (and they are now about 2-3 years old). It has a nice transmitting stand (very pleasing to the eye), and it goes in/out easy. The sound is wonderful, and the imaging is very effective for play. Oh and the sound transmission (since it is wireless) is perfect, at least for the acoustic requirements of gaming. For critical listening in a nice lounge chair, I'd get a electrostatic headset with a nice dedicated class-a amp.

I use a separate USB Logitech mic. Which I think is just like any other. It has an on/off switch on the base.

On the flip side... I'm the only one with this setup - LOL.
Monday, November 22, 2010, 12:38 am
Slappy
One Man Army
Send a message via AIM to Slappy Send a message via MSN to Slappy Slappy is offline
I've given up on the standard approach for gaming headsets. I've been through 10 pairs or so in the x past years, and here's what I decided is the best approach.

Buy your headphones & mic separately.

I'm rolling with Sennhesier CX-300 earbuds
&
Zalman Microphone

I think earbuds are superior to the over the ear headphones. They work better for longer hours of gaming, and IMO give better surround sound.
Old
Monday, November 22, 2010, 2:40 am
Poker
Regarding surround/3D sound:

I've had mid-high quality sets with both "true" surround where the spatial positioning is achieved with multiple speakers in each can, and simulated surround where the timings are adjusted or whatever to trick the ear — and maybe it's just my untrained unaudiophilic ears but IME it's actually the simulated setup that's as good or maybe even better for my ability to sense 3D positioning in-game (which sounds counterintuitive but really makes sense when I think about it).

Regarding USB:

I much prefer it to standard audio jacks. They're less clutter, less electrically noisy, and so far IME work more reliably.

The one thing I don't know is how USB compares when it comes to how much acoustic power is driven — like for analog output with higher powered phones, you definitely want a sound card to plug them into rather than just on-board sound, because the higher-Ohm-impedance speakers need more power to make them thump than the motherboard delivers by itself — I would hope USB sets take care of this on their own but I'm not sure that's true or not.
Monday, November 22, 2010, 4:08 pm
CoMM
a.k.a. Scr3wby Doo
Thanks for the opinions everyone. I like the Zalman mic that Slappy listed... For $15 i don't know that anyone can go wrong with that clip-on mic. I may just get a few of those for now so i have one for an immediate backup. I'll probably get a new headset (or just headphones most likely) at some point but really my only issue at the moment is a decent wired mic. I'll probably do more research before i drop $300+ on the headphones.

Old
Monday, November 22, 2010, 6:17 pm
BigRedDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy View Post
I've given up on the standard approach for gaming headsets. I've been through 10 pairs or so in the x past years, and here's what I decided is the best approach.

Buy your headphones & mic separately.

I'm rolling with Sennhesier CX-300 earbuds
&
Zalman Microphone

I think earbuds are superior to the over the ear headphones. They work better for longer hours of gaming, and IMO give better surround sound.
Agree with high quality separates. Don't like earbuds myself.
Wednesday, November 24, 2010, 8:19 am
Slappy
One Man Army
Send a message via AIM to Slappy Send a message via MSN to Slappy Slappy is offline
Those Sennheiser 151's are on a black friday sale. Only $35 after discount & coupon.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-26106157-L09C

Promo code:EMCZZNN47
Old
Wednesday, November 24, 2010, 8:10 pm
CoMM
a.k.a. Scr3wby Doo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy View Post
Those Sennheiser 151's are on a black friday sale. Only $35 after discount & coupon.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-26106157-L09C

Promo code:EMCZZNN47
Very nice. TY. That's tempting...

For anyone else considering ... there are better headsets available nowadays but you can't go wrong for that price. These are high quality earphones and the mic is the best i have had so far as well. At that price someone may seriously want to get them just for iPod listening or whatever else, if not gaming. Less than 5 years ago they were over $200, and they definitely have Sennheiser quality with enough volume to hurt.

Old
Wednesday, November 24, 2010, 8:43 pm
X-Rated
The Funk Wagon
I think you should stick with the setup you have now. It sounds awesome.
Old
Wednesday, November 24, 2010, 9:21 pm
CoMM
a.k.a. Scr3wby Doo
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Rated View Post
I think you should stick with the setup you have now. It sounds awesome.
Yeah, maybe. For that price i think i'll at least get a PC 151 replacement for now while i consider what i want in the latest tech.

Old
Thursday, November 25, 2010, 12:36 am
Maison
morituri te salutant
For sure rite now I am loving the Senheiser headsets.

I am partially suprised that Slippy hasn't posted about his Steel Series headset yet. From what I know he loves it and from what I have read they are VERY comfortable and they have excellent sound. I believe Slip has the Steel Series Siberia. Just another option to consider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear View Post
well... the good news is that lucas can't screw up the star wars universe any longer.

the bad news is that now disney can ....
Old
Thursday, November 25, 2010, 1:58 pm
Slippy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maison View Post
For sure rite now I am loving the Senheiser headsets.

I am partially suprised that Slippy hasn't posted about his Steel Series headset yet. From what I know he loves it and from what I have read they are VERY comfortable and they have excellent sound. I believe Slip has the Steel Series Siberia. Just another option to consider.
Sennheiser sets are nice, but the Siberia V2 is just the one that takes the cake. I was a bit skeptical at first, and I don't have good luck with headsets but they really were worth $100. They are made specifically for gaming sessions 2 hours+ AND its push in microphone quality is amazing. Incredibly long cord, virtual 7.1 soundcard...its a win in my book. The strap toward the top puts the pressure on the top of your head instead of your ears. They fit over my large ears perfectly.

+Win

Old
Wednesday, December 8, 2010, 8:30 pm
PUNISHER
I have a monkey
I don't know personally if these are any good, but the brand has been said here before and it seems like a good price. Thought I would post it here instead of starting a new thread. BTW...That Bradsdeals.com is a site that comes up with all kinds of deals from all over, it's something I look at everyday.

Electronics Expo drops the price of these Sennheiser DJ Headphones from $79.95 to $59.95 to $36.18 via code BRADSDEALS. With $4.99 for shipping this is the best price we could find by $10. Sennheiser has a great reputation for headphones. These shield from ambient noise so you can hear your music at safer volumes. They feature rotatable ear cups, so you can always be comfortable wearing them. Sales tax is only charged in NJ.

XFX 790i Ultra Core2Duo E8400@4005 444x9 4GB Corsair DDR3 EVGA 9800 GTX+ (2)10K Raptors Raid0
Old
Wednesday, November 2, 2011, 8:07 pm
CoMM
a.k.a. Scr3wby Doo
Bumping an old topic here...

I found a true analog 5.1 surround headset: Tritton PC510

In the pictures you can see that it has individual analog plugs, made to work with a full 5.1 surround sound PC audio card.