Welcome! or Register
ASSgaming.com > Forums > Community > Hardware
Share the news about PC power and other cool devices.

AMD / MSI / Radeon Build
Old
Saturday, April 23, 2011, 11:56 pm
ShowNuff
We Are (A.S.S)
Default AMD / MSI / Radeon Build

So my current gaming rig is get pretty old. I built it right before UT3 came out. It is about to die and since pretty much all of my rigs Intel / Nvidia based I wanted to go a different way on my new one.

I have been poke'n around for the last couple of weeks trying to find a good Proc, Mobo, Ram and Video card for under $800. Since I already have a butt-load of Cases, SSD's, hard-drives, CD-Rom's, Power Supplies and every other thing. The big four is all I need.

So here is what I'm thinking

Mobo

Processor

Video Card

RAM

Does any of you's have any of this hardware. I could use your imput, I may even listen to some of you. Please let me know. I will most likely go with Windows 7 Home Premium or Ultimate 64 bit as my first boot option on a 30 gig SSD, with a 1 TB drive for program files and User profiles. Also a 500 gig drive for backups and previous rig data. Right now I'm sitting at about a little over $700. I may go with a better video card or I may go down to this card.

Video Card Option #2

What you guys think?

...........................Nuffsed

Old
Sunday, April 24, 2011, 2:27 am
Ghost_Codeman
Poker is a DM Whore
Send a message via MSN to Ghost_Codeman Send a message via Yahoo to Ghost_Codeman Ghost_Codeman is offline
Looks good to me!

~uXc~BaYkT (on our TS) said:
Quote:
"****n Cody.... FOCKin, cOdY... FUNKIN Code.....****iN CoDy... goat luvin ****er... ****IN CoDY... **** U CODE... ****in Cody!!!!" [and repeat]
Old
Sunday, April 24, 2011, 2:40 am
Slippy
Looks great to me. 965 BE is ALWAYS an amazing choice. 6870 is a bit unnecessary, I would go for an NVIDIA card(Personal opinion), or a 5870. 8 GB of ram is also a bit unnecessary, 4 GB is more than plenty if it has a good cas latency. Also, another thing. Be careful around MSI boards, from what I can tell, people have been RMAing them. A LOT. So ye, be careful, happy building

Old
Sunday, April 24, 2011, 4:04 pm
Maison
morituri te salutant
I heard someone say around here that Gskill was the way to go for RAM. I think it was BRD. I personally was always a Corsair man myself but I let someone talk me out of it with a very valid point. Let me see if I can find my build thread...

Bingo, http://forums.assgaming.com/showthread.php?t=7253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear View Post
well... the good news is that lucas can't screw up the star wars universe any longer.

the bad news is that now disney can ....
Old
Thursday, April 28, 2011, 1:18 pm
X-Rated
The Funk Wagon
Skip the X4 and get the X6

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-849-_-Product

It's a hexcore and it's only 50 bucks more.

EDIT: And unlike intel chips, the AMD stock heatsinks are very functional for both stock and OC speeds.
Old
Thursday, April 28, 2011, 6:24 pm
ShowNuff
We Are (A.S.S)
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Rated View Post
Skip the X4 and get the X6
I was thinking the same thing.

.....................Nuffsed

Old
Friday, May 6, 2011, 10:52 pm
BigRedDog
Hey man,

Wish I could jump in on this... but I have zero practical knowledge on AMD builds.

I can recommend the 6870. I got the XFX black edition... then picked up a second when the price dropped. Nice solid card. The naming is mucked up between the 5xxx and the 6xxx, so be sure you are mapping apples to apples. There are some nice things about the 6870 over the 5770... but I'll leave that to the online reviewers. You probably know all this already though.

In my experience, 6870 blows through current generation games at whisper levels.

And, I use the GSkill memory. Oh and I wouldn't pay up for good CAS latency. I've never seen a clean benchmark that justified the price...

Good luck on the rig.
Saturday, November 12, 2011, 6:08 pm
ShowNuff
We Are (A.S.S)
I finally got around to doing some more research on hardware and pulled the trigger on the new rig. I really like some of the tech ASUS is putting into their new boards so I went them instead of MSI. Below are the major components.

ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard with 3-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support and UEFI BIOS

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDE00ZFBGRBOX

ASUS EAH6950 DCII/2DI4S/2GD5 Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL

Corsair Carbide Series 500R Black Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

SAMSUNG Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Combo Model SH-B123L LightScribe Support - OEM

I already have a 1200 watt PS by BFG and two 500 gig hard-drives that I'll run in RAID 0. I have a 30 gig SSD drive that has my OS installed on it right now, but I keep running into space issues, so I think I'll use it for my page file and install some of my favorite games on it. A buddy of mine who works at Microsoft is getting me 2 copies of WIN 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I'm getting two copies so I can rebuilt my son's rig with my old components. Should be a fun build and I think i'll over clock this bad boy, since I went with some water cooling

...........................Nuffsed

Old
Saturday, November 12, 2011, 9:18 pm
CoMM
a.k.a. Scr3wby Doo
Looks nice ... congrats!

Old
Saturday, November 12, 2011, 11:01 pm
VEGETA
INACTIVE
looks like good stuff...easy for me to say though, your old rig has a high chance of being better then mine lol.. i do have that 5770 card though. i love it, but understand that its the most capable piece of hardware in my computer lol

its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog
Old
Sunday, November 13, 2011, 2:03 am
Ghost_Codeman
Poker is a DM Whore
Send a message via MSN to Ghost_Codeman Send a message via Yahoo to Ghost_Codeman Ghost_Codeman is offline
Sweet Show!

~uXc~BaYkT (on our TS) said:
Quote:
"****n Cody.... FOCKin, cOdY... FUNKIN Code.....****iN CoDy... goat luvin ****er... ****IN CoDY... **** U CODE... ****in Cody!!!!" [and repeat]
Old
Friday, November 18, 2011, 12:29 pm
Agoura_Steve
Send a message via AIM to Agoura_Steve Send a message via MSN to Agoura_Steve Send a message via Yahoo to Agoura_Steve Send a message via Skype™ to Agoura_Steve Agoura_Steve is offline
Really nice Show. You wont need to upgrade for many years from now unless
something revolutionary comes along. That rig is probably as fast as the best on the market.

I have been a fanboy of the ATI cards for a few years now thanks to BRD.
Great video cards. I think your only issue that you will have is that it will be years
before any game challenges your rig.

Old
Friday, November 18, 2011, 4:44 pm
ShowNuff
We Are (A.S.S)
I got 3 big boxes in the mail yesterday. I'll be buildin' the new rig tonight.

........................Nuffsed

Old
Friday, November 18, 2011, 10:56 pm
CoMM
a.k.a. Scr3wby Doo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowNuff View Post
I got 3 big boxes in the mail yesterday. I'll be buildin' the new rig tonight.

........................Nuffsed
Congrats! I'm sure you'll have fun putting it together. Don't rush it of course. Make sure your seals are tight on that liquid cooling stuff.

Oh and since you're planning to overclock don't use it much out of the gate. You need to spend most of the first week simply pushing the CPU/memory/video as hard as possible with OC tools. If you burn-in the chips with standard usage they won't be able to OC anywhere near what you can do by seriously pushing a fresh set of chips to their limits immediately. It has to do with how the components such as the plastic and glues do their final bonding when it starts being used for the first time. So, for the first week i'd recommend burn-in only, with something like 4 hours on, 1 hour off, nonstop around the clock. Then after burn-in you can find that highest possible stable clock value on each component, and hopefully it'll stick like that for its lifetime, with good longevity. And actually if everyone did a proper burn-in before usage then they may avoid that chip burnout (video card, et al) 2 years down the road even when running on normal settings, since it just makes the chips much better in general.

Old
Monday, November 21, 2011, 2:26 am
ShowNuff
We Are (A.S.S)
I'm up and running. BF3 plays sweet on this rig. When we gettin' together? I need some serious help on BF3. I have no clue what are the best tactics for each class. Total Newb I am.

..........................Nuffsed