Welcome! or Register
ASSgaming.com > Forums > Community > General Discussion
Discussion related to FPS gaming and the clans and communities around it.

Unreal Engine 4
Old
Friday, June 14, 2013, 8:25 pm
ShowNuff
We Are (A.S.S)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poker View Post
“You Dick.

does this explain why I♥Shownuff so much?”
LOL......

OK..... let's try this. Take your finger and put it in your ear. Wiggle it around for a while. Take your finger out of your ear. Which feels better? Your finger or your ear?

And that.... my friend.... is why it's better to be the pussy.

.............................Nuffsed

Old
Friday, June 14, 2013, 10:11 pm
Poker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowNuff View Post
LOL......

OK..... let's try this. Take your finger and put it in your ear. Wiggle it around for a while. Take your finger out of your ear. Which feels better? Your finger or your ear?

And that.... my friend.... is why it's better to be the pussy.

.............................Nuffsed
HA

ok now when I tried that — first, yes, the ear wins, point well made — but afterward my finger was all covered in this dry greasy brown stuff, which, by the way, doesn’t taste very good at all … so it should follow then that in fact it’s best to be …

… oh shіt.
Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 4:05 pm
Poker
Well my ear has dried out. So here is something to match the original topic for this thread.

This is IMO the best and ONLY substantial evidence of an upcoming UT-like game:

If you trawl the Epic jobs page at http://epicgames.com/careers, some of the positions they’ve had listed for the last several weeks describe the company’s current spate of projects in a single sentence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPIC
Currently in development are Fortnite (www.fortnitegame.com), Unreal Engine 4, and an unannounced Online Competitive Shooter.

So, we get to parse and interpret the meaning of “online competitive shooter”.

In order of juiciness:

“Shooter” — clear enough … this could include a UT-like FPS, a Bulletstorm-like FPS, or also a Gears-like 3PS, but it would certainly exclude any wanky casual platformer or tower-defense. So far so good.

“Online” — now what class of games would they explicitly describe as “online”? Anything they’d make today would be networked in some way … but is that a word they’d use to headline the description of a co-op Gears- or Bulletstorm-like game?

Maybe … but maybe not. Given a word-budget of two adjectives, I don’t think “online” is a word you’d spend on a game that’s designed around story-driven co-op. To me, the use of that word, especially in this context, strongly suggests a game that is inherently multiplayer in the familiar sense.

“Competitive” — and here’s your money shot.

This even seems to exclude anything as story-driven as UT3 — praise be to whatever God you believe in — suggesting a design that focuses on the game’s human players rather than its fictitious characters. I can’t imagine what else this could describe other than something that’s at least very heavily influenced by UT.

Whatever this becomes, however, IMO it’s still highly unlikely that its title will include “Tournament”, or even “Unreal” … and that’s good. I think Epic want to stay far, far away from all the silly, petty yardsticks against which they’d be measured by the habit-addled diehards of any of their past games.
Wednesday, June 26, 2013, 11:41 am
CoMM
a.k.a. Scr3wby Doo
I've been doing a little UDK development and keeping an eye on UE4 as well. It looks awesome. Good to hear that there might be another shooter coming from them also.

Old
Wednesday, June 26, 2013, 9:01 pm
Poker
One of the positions elaborates a bit further, which I missed the first time:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPIC
... unannounced competitive online action game that includes player progression, heavy itemization, and a dynamic economy
So this evokes something UT-flavored, marinated in 151-proof Borderlands ........... I feel woozy already.

Actually — dead sober stiff that I am — I can’t figure what to make of an “economized” competitive game. The equal-footing aspect of UT was one of its greatest strengths. Adding player progression could be cool, but it could also turn out really, really bad.

It sure would be nice to be able to trust Epic not to royally cock this one up.

Speaking of which,

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoMM View Post
I've been doing a little UDK development
Elaborate you cock
tease.
Thursday, June 27, 2013, 1:08 pm
CoMM
a.k.a. Scr3wby Doo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poker View Post
Elaborate you cock tease.
Heh. It's nothing special yet, and it may never be. I was just messing with some genetics and AI logic and thinking about how those could be twisted into an iOS game to evolve characters and worlds. Just mainly creating some reusable library stuff thus far.

And, I don't know if what I'm doing is even suitable for UDK. After doing a bit more research it appears that things like dynamic worlds aren't easily possible in it. The engine prefers to have everything pre-positioned and pre-baked when the map is created, so objects added at runtime are a lot more costly and they're assumed to be used for interaction/collision/etc and they all add to the physics load. Dynamic terrain which can be created or modified at runtime isn't really possible either.

There should still be some kind of use for what I'm doing however so I'll probably continue to play with it in my spare time.

Old
Thursday, June 27, 2013, 9:01 pm
Poker
neat O

Yeah, UE/UDK worlds are exceedingly static. Being confined to the high-level Unrealscript really precludes doing anything groundbreaking or exotic, unfortunately.

And even with native access, making all the things dynamic would be an extremely hard problem. Once down that rabbit hole, the explosion of world state that must be maintained staggers my brain — there’s all that octree and collision detection stuff under the hood, not to mention the load across the network, all of which must be simulated and replicated in realtime — yikes.

Even the bits of destructible environment that other games have, from what I understand, are still actually quite static as well, just hand-optimized and cleverly dressed up to make it look good and just believable enough.

AI and strategy-evolution is a different animal, though, being all server-side and only CPU-bound — still hard, but less impossible, I’d bet. The decisions involved with designing your “genomic” data structures for AI strategies certainly sounds like an interesting puzzle.

silly genetics fun: http://rednuht.org/genetic_cars_2/
Wednesday, March 19, 2014, 1:03 pm
Poker
The New Deal:
  • Full Unreal Engine 4 License
  • $19/month + 5% of gross sales
  • Complete C++ source hosted on Github

!!!

https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/we...nreal-engine-4