Welcome! or Register
Old
Monday, July 12, 2010, 2:52 pm
Poker
Default GTX 460: the nVidia to get

This week nVidia finally found the sweet spot again: the new GTX 460 has hit the street for under $200, their best bang-for-the-buck offering since the 8800/9800 GT. As they did for that erstwhile value champion (which, for comparison, then cost $100 more at launch), nVidia have given the GTX 460 a smaller, more efficient version (GF104) of the Fermi architecture–based GPU that drives their current top-class line (GF100). This allows the 460 to run quieter, draw less power and spew less heat (read: big overclock headroom), all while retaining a very healthy chunk of the performance you'd get if you'd shelled out for the expensive ones (GTX 470: $350, GTX 480: $500).

Better still, nVidia's SLi multi-card technology appears to have matured significantly since the 8800 days. Compared to the paltry 30-something percent typically seen in generations past with two cards running in tandem, some reviewers are finally reporting near-double performance gains (90%) — thoroughly outperforming [BF:BC2] a single top-shelf card like the $500 GTX 480, for less money. Assuming those gains hold up outside the lab with no stability issues or anything (don't bet the farm), at long last SLi just might possibly be a sensible option.

A nice and concise engadget post links to a good fat gob of more in-depth articles from top review sites like Anand, [H], Tom's, etc. — so far everybody loves this card.
Monday, July 12, 2010, 3:01 pm
X-Rated
The Funk Wagon
Yep saw this earlier, makes me wish I would have waited in buying the 9800 GTX and held out for this thing. Its only 60-70 bucks more than the 9800 and I imagine it's significantly more hardware.

Good stuff. With the pricing I assume they'll be moving these out the door at a decent rate.
Old
Monday, July 12, 2010, 4:06 pm
sWs»Skaarj
i got a gtx 470 when i built my new rig and this thing is a power house nothing slow's this bad boy down also came with a free resident evil 5 and only set me back $280

Old
Tuesday, July 13, 2010, 3:18 pm
CoMM
a.k.a. Scr3wby Doo
Tempting but i think the GTS 260 OC i got earlier this year still pushes plenty of frames in the current games. My next upgrade will likely be an entire system since my core components are lagging behind a lot worse than my video ATM.

Old
Tuesday, July 13, 2010, 3:45 pm
ShowNuff
We Are (A.S.S)
I've gone through 2 8800's in the last 6 months, so I think it's time for an upgrade.

.................Nuffsed

Old
Wednesday, July 14, 2010, 11:22 am
BigRedDog
Yep, just beware, there are two versions of the card floating around, the $230 1G, 256bit version which is a decidedly better deal than the $200 756M, 192bit version.

Frame buffer aside, the bus bandwidth is going to limit the $200 card, especially if you end up playing higher res. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped the memory size, because the smaller bus couldn't keep it filled anyway.

I didn't look at the specs yet, but I'm guessing the smaller bus is going to effectively limit the power of this card. Which makes perfect sense, if you want to put out a low end card, grab your non-prime chip stock, clock it down, and limit the bandwidth with a smaller bus. You get to sell your scrap, and at the same time, not effectively cannibalize your higher end market.

Anyway, just a thought.
Wednesday, July 14, 2010, 3:29 pm
Poker
Yep I agree, $30 more for the 1GB version would be money well spent, with performance gains that fairly match the price ratio, which isn't usually the case. Even though I'd also strongly suggest scraping those few extra bucks for the 1GB, the 768MB base model is still better than anything you'll find for $200. Win-win either way.