Welcome! or Register
ASSgaming.com > Forums > Games > Battlefield 3 > General Discussion

Tips for finding the best BF3 servers
Old
Monday, October 31, 2011, 6:51 pm
CoMM
a.k.a. Scr3wby Doo
Default Tips for finding the best BF3 servers

Please add additional tips for searching within the BF3 server browser here...

1) After you perform a search, and before you sort by anything -- ping, players, whatever -- scroll down, and keep scrolling as long as the page continues to lengthen and return results. After the page stops grabbing more results, then sort by ping, player count, or whatever suits you... Their system apparently returns a random top 25 or so, and then when you scroll towards the end of those results, it continues to load an additional 25, and it repeats that process until all items matching that search are shown -- so if/when you sort the data based solely on the first results you're only sorting on a random batch of the first 25.

Old
Monday, October 31, 2011, 7:20 pm
sWs»Skaarj
it is best to make sure you have 5+ empty slots checked when looking for a server because the quick match feature can screw you over if you are trying to connect to a server with the last open slot it will give it to someone in the quick match option and disconnect you forcing you to find another server

Old
Monday, October 31, 2011, 8:03 pm
CoMM
a.k.a. Scr3wby Doo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sWs»Skaarj View Post
if you are trying to connect to a server with the last open slot it will give it to someone in the quick match option and disconnect you forcing you to find another server
Actually i think they just patched the bug you mention server-side. I just happened to notice an alert about a server upgrade this weekend when i was having some temp Origin service issues.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3...4774182727981/

Old
Tuesday, November 1, 2011, 11:17 am
BigRedDog
I've found pressing the windows key on the keyboard and simply closing the game window is immensely faster than using the interface to quit the game and return to the server browser. Two caveats to doing this... (1) you can leave the window open, while it is finishing up the "game wrap up communications, read: says, "20 seconds to next round." While it is doing that, I setup the browser settings. However, you have to close the window before you join the new server - otherwise you'll get a message saying it can't launch the game while it is running (how stupid is it you have to relaunch the game in its entirety just to switch servers?). So, get it setup, wait for the countdown to complete, close the window and execute the search... (2) There is a slight memory leak in BF3 somewhere. As doing this 10+ times will result in tons of messages (for me at least) saying you are running low on memory from windows. Guess, Windows 7 really doesn't have that sandboxing concept working yet - LOL. The last game I played it actually switched me, mid-game to the "windows basic color scheme." Funny. But it works 5-10 times.
[update: I've been shutting the game window immediately after (and sometimes during) the game, instead of shutting down via the interface. I've done a bit of testing, it does not loose your stats - they get updated after the game completes and the server sends them. So, you don't have to wait for the countdown to complete.]

Also, you don't have to respond/ok the pop up that says the server is now full to select another server. Just ignore it, highlight the next server, and press join. In fact, I do that 3-4 times, it seems to queue the requests, to the server. That is, setup your query results however you want... then just go down the list. Press the server you want, press join. Press the next server, press join. And so on... up to 5 times. It doesn't seem to need your response to go to the next request, so it just runs through them until it finds a server you can join. Note, if you do it more than 5 times, it gives you a warning message saying something like, "Hold on there cowboy, too many requests. Please wait." So, the programmers are (a) aware of it... but more importantly... (b) chose to allow it. Also note, there doesn't seem to be any kind of penalty (timeout, kick, et. al.), if you do get the cowboy message.

Suggest, for performance reasons you load a web browser onto your system, and set it as default (the game won't allow you to choose the web browser to launch). Use this browser for the game. Something with a small footprint - Camino, et. al. I don't think the game interface required Flash, but I know it requests it. So, don't load flash in that browser. Also don't load any extensions, et. al. This will keep your memory (and ad bandwidth) to a minimum while playing. BTW, if you have the bright idea of closing the browser while gaming... I did too. It seems to work OK, but you have to relaunch the browser from the Origin interface when you want to restart. I've had several problems loading the page and launching the game via a shortcut (yes, even with Origin running and logged in).

Lastly, I note the options you choose are not "OR" query statements, they are "AND" query statements. So, the more you check, the less you get. Not the other way around. Figure that is pretty obvious, but just in case we have some non-programmers out there...

OT, but just to throw a rant in here... The web interface is awful. I get they are trying to build a community - clan sites and all. But do we really need a Facebook like gaming environment? Especially when it is at the expense of functionality and performance?

That is, having to keep a web browser open in the background and relaunching the game every time you enter a new server... Argh. No engineer came up with this stupid interface - of that I'm certain.

Happy gaming!

Last edited by BigRedDog : Wednesday, November 2, 2011 at 11:14 am. Reason: The iPhone sometimes gets things wrong... LOL.
Old
Thursday, November 10, 2011, 10:04 pm
CoMM
a.k.a. Scr3wby Doo
Another tip for this is to search on "start" (along with your favorite map, or alone), and then look for some variation of: "1p start", "will start when 1 player joins", etc. Those servers will allow the game to start as soon as anyone joins, rather than requiring the standard 8 players to start a match. It will give you time to learn the map, learn vehicles, and so on. Those are good servers to keep in your favorites along with good popular ones.